Friday, March 04, 2005

Why the avante-garde African woman is fishing beyond the lakes of her race

A perplexing phenomenon is happening ladies and gentlemen, the modern African woman has discovered that there are greener pastures beyond her tribe, culture and race. As a matter of fact the conformist African man is slowly becoming obsolete and ineffectual to the needs of the progressive African woman.

Make no mistake about it, we are not talking about economic refugees or unapprised women with an obtuse post-colonial mentality. We are talking about educated , informed and well cultured african women who have decided that living in a gender oppresive marriage or any other romantic amalgamation based on outdated traditions and mindsets, is not a road they plan to traverse.

Indeed the conservative or conformist African man has to re-evaluate his attitude towards women in general if he is to remain a viable suitor to any woman not just the African woman in particular. The misplaced attitude that women's role in society is limited to child bearing, domestic duties and quenching the fire in men's loins, is defunct and should be tenaciously obliterated.

As a matter of fact, the African woman has graced the isles of global economic podiums and contributed greatly to global socio-political spheres. A good example is Dr. Wangari Maathai who won the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize therefore becoming not only the first African woman but the the only black woman to have ever been awarded the coveted prize. Of course some retarded men dismissed Dr.Maathai's monumental achievements as a tree-hugger's undeserving plaque. This attitude is at the very least contemptible. It reminds me of an Aids awareness lecture I attended, that was presented by my good friends Dr. Anne Githinji and Professor Chao of the university of New Mexico, two outstanding scholars who are sending ripples through the American Southwest. In the lecture, the two female scholars shared their plans to start a tuition free school for under-priviledged HIV children. An African man who shall remain nameless, puckishly dismissed their brilliant plans by saying, "It is good to have a vision." A moment of silence while we ponder the sacarsm and foolishness of that statement. It almost seems that African men think that they deserve respect just because they are men. My dear brothers, having a stick and two balls between your legs does not add weight to your derisory status.

In closing, Hillary Clinton is quoted as having said that the greatest problem facing Africa is gender inequality. Whether or not we agree with that statement, gender inequality is a problem that is plaguing our continent. The deadly HIV Virus has been spread by the apathetic actions and primordial attitudes of African men. Practises like wife sharing, wife inheritance, pre-arranged marriages, rape, domestic abuse go on incessantly all over the African continent. Every night thousands of innocent African women are physically tortured by their husbands, many times in full view of their little children. This systematic abuse, torture and discrimination of African women needs to cease. Bigotry has no place in African society.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how one looks at it, empowered African women have options that they are and already have explored. The message to the African Man is simple, loose your ways or loose your women.

8 Comments:

Blogger Guessaurus said...

Karoki,
This post does not belong in a blog, it belongs out there where the said men can read it over and over. I love your prose, I love your thoughts. Well written, sometimes too well written. What do you do again? Only kidding.

I do agree though with the post, and still do not understand how African men justify their behaviour as manly while all it is is bully tactics aimed at making their (our) women feel inferior. Especially the adage that if you dont do such and such eg, cant cook/clean to a inch of your life, bear children blah blah, you are easily replaceable with a specimen that can take orders lying down. Yet, what do these me do again? Apart from go to work and sit around drinking and farting and f*ing anything that shows a modicum of interest in them - not a lot.

I know I sound like I have it in for our men, and I probably do. But, its borne of not really seeing them as any different from any other human being. You are not born deserving respect or eternal service from women just because you are a man. You have to work and earn that right. IMHO

The treating of women as disposable entities is vile and, seeing that there aint much now that men can do that women cant do, and do much better - then the African man with his outdated outlook and superiority is to me, replaceable.
G...

3:35 AM  
Blogger karoki said...

thanks, I actually wrote this in jail today. You can tell how inspirational jail can be.

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I consider myself the 'mordern' African sister, who knows where she has come from and knows where she is going to. HOWEVER, I LOVE Cooking for my African man. I like the look in his eyes when he comes home dead tired to find I have prepared one of his favourite dishes.I love giving him mesaages just beacuse,manicures and pedicures not because he needs it, but because we are spending time together, with candles and music.
I love it when his friends come over and enjoy my dishes and take away extras saying," its to keep me going'
I love the way he looks when he setps out, shirt and all pressed out.MIGHTY FINE not that I am biased.

The love and attention he gives me is the driving force. He is a strong, African man who knows how to value and respect a woman. Thanks to his Mum and the God he loves.

The onus is on the woman, if you raise them right they WILL turn out right. as HE said, "whatsoever you sow, that is what you will reap"

Mothers and Mothers to be, single or not, RAISE YOUR CHILD RIGHT

6:11 PM  
Blogger Guessaurus said...

Annon, you are lucky and yes, I do the same for my African man. But, you should already know that men like that who appreciate and look after their woman, and do the same for you as you do for them, are rare. I know of educated (to Phd levels)and 'sophisticated' African men who live in the western world, and they can't even make themselves a cup of tea or toast because its a woman's job. It exasperates me when especially in the West where both parties (man n woman) work long shifts and sometimes two jobs to keep the home going, yet the man will not do anything at home because its not his job.

Yes, I love looking after my man too and do any/everything in the house. But, he knows that it is not my 'job' because I'm a woman, and he does his bit too. If you expect me to help you pay the bills and the mortgage and buy the kids clothes (which were considered the male forté), then I expect help in the fields that are considered women territory.

@Karoki: Inspiration can come where least expected, and yours is truly inspiring here.

4:45 AM  
Blogger karoki said...

Thank you all for the feedback. really encouraging. AS always any questions can be directed to worshipsax@hotmail.com

God bless you and STAY BLACK!

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well said, if other african men thought like you...this world would be a wonderful place. African men need to get over themselves and realize that we are ..and always will be equal..granted there are some thing that men can do and women cant and vice versa but instead of using this as a device to put each other down, these differences should be celebrated because they are what make us need each other au sio....good job dude...want to me my boyfriend? ....lol....

3:39 PM  
Blogger akiey said...

1st off, great writing & direct, no nonsensical approach to issues many folks shy away from. We need more pple like you!
-On the issue of HIV transmission. A close friend from Zimbabwe & I were talking one day & we came to the conclusion that Africa's destiny lies not in the hands of womenfolk like we're all led to believe (eti they need to ensure the man straps on so AIDS doesn't spread) but rather in the hands of the MAN.
-If like you said, all we African men are busy doing is live dangerous lives while our women are faithful (love me some African woman for this!) then we're the ones to blame. Nuff said in my comment coz your article says it all. Thumbs up!
- I know that thing of being inspired in strange places. Am glad we can both say we've been to jail but not as another statistic:)

4:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post I must say.I must admit that in many sectors that sexism is alive and well but you must admit that women in Africa have made leaps and bounds in their status in society.I remember when i was a kid a woman in Kenya could not get a passport without her husbands permission and single mum's were seen as the scum of the earth.
But please do not fall into the trap of thinking that all African men are the enemy.The enemy is attitudes, change attitudes and you will have changed the men.

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home