Wednesday, February 16, 2005

You ain't even a nigger-you're an African

"You ain't even a nigger-you're an African" those were the words of UN peacekeeper Colonel Oliver in the movie 'Hotel Rwanda', encapsulating western racism and indifference. Those words were a painful reminder of how Africans are viewed by many in the "free world" including our afican-american brothers and sisters.

I don't know how many of you have ever been called "nigger". I have. The only thing about it is, it came from a criminal I had either arrested when I was a Parole Officer or from an inmate at the jail or prison as a corrections Officer. They said it coz it was the only thing they could think of, that would even the score. Prisons and jails are a whole different environment. One is defined by race, rank and physical size. If you've never been called a "nigger" thank your gods. The words echo in your head the first time you hear it. My first thought was to kill the dude. I had to pause, get on my radio and call for back up coz I was gonna kill the rat. I did settle it. Lets just say, no one calls me a nigger twice.

Anyone who thinks racism does not exist is ignorant. I've seen it in church, at work.
i take pride in being an African. I have no choice but to be proud of my heritage. I am proud of my tribe, my culture, our traditions. I hope that next time someone treats you with prejudice because of your race, you'll think about the wealth of your heritage and promptly give the guy an ass whoopin'.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ms K said...

Never been called a nigga (Thank God) but I know the ugly face of racism exists.

The kind that really pisses me off is the black on black kind. You know like you walk into a restaurant back home and you're there for aeons and no-one has attended to you. Or when they do its with a sneer and rudeness. Meanwhile the white guy at the table next to you who walked in five minutes ago has had his feet licked and now they're moving right up to his ass!!

I guess it was the same thing that you went thro with your exes parents.

It sucks!!

4:46 AM  
Blogger N. Kenyatta Gray said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

1. welcome to bloggin
2.never been called a nigga or colored or any of those terms but did experience some kind with asians while in primary and i can only imagine
3.how's life as a cop? i love me my shield/24/...all those bad guy vs good..or bad guy vs worse guy shows i'd really like to get an indepth of what u kinda go thru
4.ever think of comin back to nbi?

11:14 AM  
Blogger karoki said...

W'sup Nicholas,

to answer your question, life as a cop in the states ain't too bad. we have our good days and our bad days. The good days is when you put someone in cuffs for beating on his wife and the occasional free meals at MacDonalds, the bad is when you have to constantly deal with scum.

About going back to Nai. I thought about it but I don't know when it'll happen

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Anyone who thinks racism does not exist is racist" Racism is hate born out of ignorance.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Joseph,
it was nice to stumble on Your page. Your honesty and experiences speak volumes. hope to read more

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

karoki, great to read your blog.

totally feel you on the black brothers in jail. true, media is not helping through stuff like BET - (though this is potentially a key source of change - but i digress). problem is deeper than that, look @ the underlying nature/source of violence.

on a different note, you should publish..or contract a paper someday.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i said this in one of my other comments....YOU MIGHT SERIOUSLY THINK OF PUBLISHING YOUR STUFF ... it is sooo good and you say some really valid and poignant stuff....

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ight im from philly in a decent area im black but i have not prob with a white boy callin me nigga i call anyone who is close to me and went through the shit with me nigga and they say it right black no matter what race you people turn it into racism when its only a word to describe your people's and you people twist it around you need to let people use it in their own way and worry bout other shit i know racism all to well we need to stop the streets where a non-colored boy walks down and gets beat down blacks are seemin more racist then whites anymore but yes whites have done racial things to me but im a strong brother and i laugh em off

10:18 PM  
Blogger karoki said...

racism does exist fellas. hust look at the "Jena ". we cannot change attitudes but change perceptions and perception is reality!

4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home